Posted by: sargodale | August 9, 2009

Back from Kazan

I recently returned from my summer trip to Kazan. Over the next few days I’ll be trying to collect my impressions of my trip to the city. It was a great opportunity for me to experience another culture beside Russian up close. I really do believe that living in Kazan will provide new insights for my research into the history of Volga Tatar colonization over the past several centuries. The last few days I was in the city, were mainly filled with very long walks to different areas. I was able to collect a large number of photographs of monuments to various important Kazan citizens. I plan on analyzing these pictures to see who gets remembered, for what they are remembered, and how that relates to the modern Tatar identity.

The articles and book sources that I have collected over the past two months should be useful guides during my coming months of research. I even have some sources in Russian that I intend to use information from! The next few days will be filled with organizing various sources. I still need to find more information on Siberia, if I seriously intend on using it as a comparative study with the Russian colonization of Kazan. I’m very pleased with what I have accomplished over the past two months, and know that this preliminary research will be extremely helpful for my year long study of Russian colonization.

Tags:

Responses

your research sounds quite interesting. good luck with everything.

Leave a response

Your response:

Categories